Friday, July 20, 2018

Simple Vegan Pesto

Finding a topping to put on pastas has been hard with these new diet restrictions, especially since I can't eat tomatoes. My go to before was tomatillo sauce but every store-bought one has garlic in it. I've made it before but making pesto is just easier. I found this one on Pinterest. This one calls for garlic, but I found a substitute weirdly enough at the place I buy tea, called Asafoetida Powder. The guy said a lot of vegetarians use it in place of garlic or those who are allergic to garlic. So that's what I've been using. It smells pretty funky but it works. I use it like I would use garlic powder.

I keep saying I'm going to make a big batch of this pesto & then freeze it but I have yet to do that. I just keep making it over & over again.

Simple Vegan Pesto (Pinterest) (6 servings):

3 c basil, moderately packed
Juice of one small-med lemon
1/3 c pine nuts
2 large garlic cloves, peeled & roughly chopped
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 c EVOO

In food processor, combine all ingredients except oil. Pulse until evenly chopped. Slowly add in the oil through the top of the processor. Pulse until evenly combined but not completely smooth. Enjoy!




Asafoetida Powder...





Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment