Friday, May 19, 2017

Tomatillo Salsa

I've been craving salsa lately but since I can't eat tomatoes I've been out of luck. I researched tomatillos and discovered that they aren't in the tomato family..score! I had bought some tomatillo salsa from Trader Joe's and I tried a tiny bit & waited to see if would have a reaction and when I didn't I devoured it. It was so good & definitely curbed my craving for salsa. In fact, it's still my favorite for salsa if I'm buying. And it tastes good on everything.

We have a fruit/veggie truck that comes to our work a couple times a month from CA and they sell things for really cheap. I bought some tomatillos from them & I thought I would find a recipe for tomatillo salsa. My coworker sent me a pretty basic recipe her mom uses & between her mom's recipe & the one I found on Pinterest, they were pretty similar.

I roasted my jalapeno instead of boiling it with the jalapenos. I think it brought out more of the flavor of the jalapeno that way. It wasn't as good as the one at Trader Joe's but it was pretty decent. I think when I make it next time, I'd make more and freeze them in mason jars.

Tomatillo Salsa (2 cups) (Pinterest):

10 tomatillos
1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and ribs removed (keep ribs & seeds if you want it hotter)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Remove husks from the tomatillos and rinse. Place tomatillos & jalapeno (if boiling-or roast jalapeno) in pan and cover with water. Place over med-high heat and boil until tomatillos are fully cooked and a dull olive green color, about 10 min.

Strain mixture, then place tomatillos and jalapenos in a food processor. Add garlic and cilantro and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Enjoy!




Ready to eat...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment