Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Glass Noodle/Stir Fry Salad

I make this dish a lot when I'm craving noodles & stir-fry but don't want the carbs. This stems from a recipe that my best friend taught me that had tomatoes in it. Originally it also had chicken and it was served over rice. There's a Thai dish called Glass Noodle Salad and it has a lot of the same ingredients, minus the tomatoes. I can't eat tomatoes anymore so I thought I'd alter the chicken recipe and instead of the chicken, use ground chicken or pork or sometimes ground turkey if I couldn't find anything else. And I use bean sprouts noodles, which are usually used in my egg rolls. I heat them up under hot running water. They don't tend to fill me up as quickly & they aren't as thick as regular noodles, so they tend to soak up the sauce a little bit better. Then I throw whatever I have in the fridge in the rest of the salad. I usually use the same thing every time. I don't normally measure out the sauce ingredients-normally only to taste.

Glass Noodle/Stir Fry Salad (4 servings):

3 pack bean thread noodles, softened under hot running water, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
1 2-inch piece ginger, chopped or minced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
6 green onions, rinsed & chopped
8 oz ground turkey
Soy sauce
Sriracha
Hoisin Sauce
Fish Sauce

Cook turkey until no longer pink; drain & set aside. Saute bell peppers until softened, about 5 minutes. Add green onions, garlic & ginger & saute about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the turkey back to mixture & stir to combine. Start adding your sauces a couple 1 tsp at a time and stir to combine. Keep adding whichever sauce here & there, tasting to your liking. I usually add a small squirt of Sriracha, a couple big squirts of Hoisin & several dashes of Fish & Soy sauce to even out the mixture. Once everything is mixed, stir in the cilantro. Add the noodles at the end; you may need to add some more sauce at this point or you could serve the mixture on top of the noodles. Those of you who like peanuts, this dish may taste good with chopped peanuts on top. Enjoy!




Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment