Monday, October 13, 2014

Fish over Zucchini & Yellow Squash

This is another recipe I created. I was staying at my parents for about a week before I moved and I had some fish to use. I had one halibut fillet left and a couple salmon fillets so I made the halibut for myself and my mom had a salmon fillet. We had picked up some zucchini and yellow squash earlier from the store. I wanted to roast the squash for a side so I decided to put the fish on top of the squash. My mom sliced the squash layers for the bottom of the pan. I also used a marinade for the fish. This turned out to be a really good dish. We all love garlic, which is good because this was really garlicky! The squash turned out amazing with the garlic and ginger and the fish were really moist and full of good flavor! I'm guessing what measurements I used for this dish, since I basically just added what looked right (what I usually do when I make up my own recipes!).

Fish over Zucchini & Yellow Squash (2 servings):

1 zucchini, sliced into very thin strips
1 yellow squash, sliced into very thin strips
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 3-4 inch piece of ginger, minced
Olive oil, to coat
Pepper to taste
2 fish fillets of your choice
1 lemon, sliced into thin slices
Capers, to serve

*Marinade
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Chili-Garlic Sauce
Lemon Juice
Roasted garlic salt
Pepper

If you are using the same type of fish, you only need one bag for the marinade. If you are using different kinds of fish, like I did, use two different bags for the marinade. Pierce each fillet with a fork. Coat each fish evenly with pepper and the roasted garlic salt, rubbing it into the fish. Add the fish to their bags and add a little bit of each of the marinade to create a sauce. Close the bags and put in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, turning occasionally.

Place the strips of zucchini and yellow squash in a bowl. Top with pepper, olive oil, garlic and ginger. Using your hands, mix everything together, being careful not to tear the squash. Layer the zucchini and squash in the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish. Remove the fish from the marinade and lay on top of the squash. Pour the marinade over each fillet. Top the fish with slices of lemon.

Bake in the oven about 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. (The salmon was done after 20 min, the halibut took a little longer to cook.) Remove the lemon slices, top with capers and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment