Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Grilled Turkey

My parents started grilling their turkey a couple years ago and they loved it. I've had it a couple times when they've made it and the turkey is always so moist and the skin is always nice and crispy. When I hosted our girls' dinner last fall I decided to make the turkey on the grill. But for some reason I didn't post it on my blog then. The girls came up to my parents again in the beginning of August and I grilled up a turkey for all of us to snack off all weekend. This time I took pictures and wrote down the directions to add to my blog. Super super easy to make!

Grilled Turkey: 8-10 servings

Fresh or frozen turkey (thawed), any size, making sure to fit on the grill
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
Any seasoning you prefer
Drip pan

Remove the turkey from the fridge 1 hour before grilling. Dry the turkey as much as possible inside and out with paper towels. Rub olive oil generously on the turkey. Season generously with salt and pepper. (When I made the turkey the first time, I only used salt and pepper. The second time, I used salt, pepper and a 15-seasoning blend my mom had on hand). You can use any type of seasoning you want. Make sure it generously coats the turkey.

Place the turkey on a rack-this is an important step as it will not cook properly if it is not on a rack. While the turkey is resting, prepare the grill.

Remove the grills and place a drip pan directly on the burners in the middle of the grill and replace the grills. The turkey has to cook by indirect eat so only turn on the outside burners to medium heat and preheat for 10 minutes.

When the grill is ready, place the turkey, with the rack it has been sitting on, on the grill in the middle of the drip pan. If you are cooking extra legs, place around the turkey anywhere they will fit and close the grill lid.

After about 1 hour, check the turkey. You want to cook the turkey 10 minutes per pound or until an internal temperature reaches 170. Take the turkey off the grill and let rest 15-30 minutes. Do not cover with foil or the skin won't be as crispy. You may need to remove the extra legs before the turkey is done so they cook faster. Enjoy!




Drip pan placed under the grill grates...






Ready to be seasoned...






Seasonings added...






Placed on the grill...






Ready to be taken off the grill...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment