Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried Rice

I found this recipe in a magazine called Low Sugar Living. I've seen other recipes similar to this and I've always wanted to try it. I mean who doesn't like fried rice?! And this would be even healthier since it's made with cauliflower 'rice'. I was a little hesitant to try it mainly because my mom said she tried making a large batch of cauliflower 'rice' and it tasted like mush the next day but I figured I might as well try it-live and learn right? I didn't take a whole lot of pictures for some reason and the one I did take...don't judge it too much lol. It tasted a lot better than it looked! I used my ninja blender to rice the cauliflower and man I love that blender! It only took 2-3 pulses for it to fully rice the cauliflower! So awesome!!! I didn't add the peas because I'm not a fan of peas at all. I added more soy sauce than it called for and in the end it did taste really good-I could taste the grated ginger and the soy sauce. And it was good 2 days and 3 days later. So I must not have cooked it for as long as my mom had cooked hers-I only cooked mine for a minute or two. I think I'd make it again, but in a smaller batch. I used the whole head of cauliflower. And I don't think I'd use the asparagus again-it didn't cook down as much as I'd like so it was still a little raw and hard to eat. And I would like to add a scrambled egg. I'll experiment a little more with the next batch I make!

Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried Rice (Low Sugar Living) (4 servings):

3 c grated raw cauliflower
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp butter, divided
1/2 c sweet onion, chopped
1/2 c carrots, chopped
10 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut in 1-inch spears
1/2 c frozen peas
1 c zucchini, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
Ground pepper, to taste
Chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds, to serve

Preheat large skillet over med-high heat. Add sesame oil and 1 tbsp butter. Once butter has melted, add the onion, carrots and asparagus, stirring frequently. Add peas and zucchini and season with pepper. Cook for 2 minutes longer.

Add garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger to pan. Pour in grated cauliflower and add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked to desired doneness (don't cook more than 2 minutes!!!). Season with soy sauce and pepper, to taste.




Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment