Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Southern Pulled Chicken

I found this recipe in a magazine titled Freezer Meals. I ended up halving the recipe because I didn't have 6 lb of chicken and I wasn't sure I could fit 6 lb of chicken into my crock pot either and I wasn't sure if I'd like it. I think I can though so when I make this again, and I will, I'll make the entire recipe. This recipe was really good and really easy. And pretty healthy too. It called for cider vinegar and cider vinegar is supposed to have all these awesome health benefits so I figured it's a win win. And of course I added more garlic than called for because it's me and more garlic is always good. I used chicken breasts because it's what I always keep on hand. I used the low heat setting but I only cooked it for 6 hours because I don't like how chicken tastes after it cooks too long in any slow cooker. This recipe had a really good flavor-just a simple basic flavor. I like that you can add as much bbq sauce as you want or as little as you want. And I also like that you can put the chicken on pretty much anything. I put it on toast, in my eggs, on nachos and in a salad. It would really be good in a quesadilla too. When I make this again, I'll make the whole recipe and freeze it in serving sizes to use as necessary. Yum! I'll post the entire recipe.

Southern Pulled Chicken (Freezer Meals):

2 med onions, quartered
6 lb skinless boneless chicken thighs
1/2 c cider vinegar
1/3 c Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c packed brown sugar
4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp mild chili powder
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c bbq sauce

Place onions in slow cooker. Top with chicken. Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Remove chicken and onions with a slotted spoon. Using two forks, shred chicken. In large bowl combine chicken and onions. Skim fat from cooking liquid in slow cooker. Stir enough cooking liquid (about 1/2 cup) into chicken mixture to moisten. Stir in bbq sauce.

Divide chicken mixture into serving portions. Cool and freeze. Enjoy!




Sauce whisked together...






Sauce poured over chicken in crock pot...






Shredded chicken...






BBQ added...






Loaded on toast...Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment