Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Steak Fajita Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing

I found this recipe in a Cuisine Fast & Fresh Summer Meals magazine and it sounded simple and easy and good. It was really good but kinda salty unfortunately. If I make this again, and I think I would, I'd leave the salt out of the fajita seasoning. There's really no need for it and I think the seasoning would taste just fine without it. I didn't need the lime wedges in the salad because the dressing had enough of a lime flavor in it. And I didn't use the romaine lettuce the salad called for-I had enough spinach in my fridge for my smoothies so I just used some of that. I ended up using the fajita meat and onions in my eggs a couple of times and they were really really good. With a little bit of cheese of course. I saved the dressing to use on other salads. So in a way, I've deconstructed this salad lol.

Steak Fajita Salad with Avocado-Ranch Dressing (Cuisine Fast & Fresh Summer Meals) (4 servings):

*Salad
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 lb flat iron steak
1 yellow bell pepper, lobed
1 orange bell pepper, lobed
1 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
2 tbsp canola oil

*Dressing
3/4 c buttermilk
1 avocado, cubed
1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c lime juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp chopped fresh jalapeno
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
6 c chopped romaine lettuce
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 med tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Lime wedges

Preheat grill to med-high. Brush grill grates with oil. For salad, combine chili powder, garlic, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, cumin, coriander and oregano. Brush steak, bell peppers and onions slices with oil. Rub spice mixture evenly over both sides of steak. (I marinated my steak, peppers and onion in fridge overnight. Then I cooked peppers, onion and steak in a grill pan on the stove until cooked through.) Grill steak, covered, 3-5 min per side for med-rare. Grill peppers and onions until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes, turning once. Transfer steak to a plate, tent with foil and let rest.

For dressing, pulse buttermilk, avocado, yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, dill, jalapeno, Worcestershire and garlic clove in food processor until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Toss romaine, beans, tomatoes and cheddar with 3/4 c dressing. Divide salad among four plates. Thinly slice steak against the grain. Slice bell peppers and onions. Top each salad with steak, peppers and onions. Serve salad with remaining dressing and lime wedges.




Fajita Seasoning...






Marinating...






Avocado-Ranch Dressing...






Fajitas...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment