Sunday, April 29, 2012

Shrimp Orzo with Feta



I found this recipe in a Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Magazine. I had all the ingredients on hand with the exception of the tomatoes. I have several recipes using orzo but I have never made it before. I had it in my cupboard for the longest time but not knowing what I should do with it until I came across this recipe. When I first tried it, I wasn't so sure I liked it but the more I ate it the more I liked it. It has a sort of Mediterranean flavor to it. I think I would make it again. A couple things I noticed while eating it...it could have used more lemon juice and cheese so I added some extras to my bowl.

Shrimp Orzo with Feta (4 servings):
1 1/4 c uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp oil
2 med tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/4 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese (I only had gorgonzola on hand)

Cook orzo according to pkg direction. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 min. Add tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 min or until shrimp turn pink. (At this point I had to switch everything over to my Dutch oven, because the skillet I was using wasn't big enough.) Drain orzo. Add orzo, cilantro and pepper to shrimp mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.

Cooked orzo...



Tomatoes, garlic and lemon juice simmering...



Everything combined...




My portion... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment