Monday, April 16, 2012

Quinoa Turkey Chili



Wow...it's been a long while since I've been on here! Thought I'd start posting things on here slowly again. I'm planning on purchasing a recipe book online soon where I can post everything but in the mean time, this blog works!

I've made this recipe twice now..the second time being tonight. I found it in Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine. I loved it the first time I made it and I love it the second time as well. I gave this recipe to a family member and after telling her about it, I started craving it. It's really filling and it makes a lot. It freezes well too, which is a plus since I live alone. It calls for corn, but I omitted it both times. It also calls for an adobo pepper, which I couldn't find the first time, so I used red pepper flakes instead. I used the pepper this time around and it's a little too spicy for me so next time I make it, I'll just use the red pepper flakes again.

Here's the recipe (2 1/4 qt):

1 c quinoa, rinsed
3 1/2 c water, divided
1/2 lb lean ground turkey
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 med sweet red pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 med zucchini, chopped
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1 tbsp adobo sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 c minced fresh cilantro

In large saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 c water to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12-15 min or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan (I used my Dutch oven) coated with cooking spray, cook turkey, onion, red pepper and garlic over med heat until meat is no longer pink and veggies are tender; drain. Stir in chili powder, cumin and cinnamon; cook 2 min longer.

Add black beans, tomatoes, zucchini, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and remaining water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 min. Stir in corn (if using) and quinoa; heat through. Discard bay leaf; stir in cilantro.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment