Friday, June 7, 2013

Quinoa Vegetable Pilaf

Once upon a time Taste of Home had a healthy cooking version of their magazine. They just recently got rid of it for some stupid reason but I found this recipe in that magazine a while ago. When I first tried this, I wasn't eating quinoa very much so it was a nice introduction of the grain because it's mixed with rice and veggies. And even better, this recipe only serves 2! Perfect for me. Tonight, I doubled the recipe only because I wanted leftovers for tomorrow. Instead of white quinoa, I used a rainbow quinoa, which cooked a little bit quicker than regular white quinoa so it burned a little. It was still tasty though and I'll continue to keep making this as a side dish. I'm going to put down the 2 serving ingredients-I'll leave it up to you if you want to double it or not.

I also just joined Weight Watchers again so don't mind if I add points here and there to the recipe.

Quinoa Veggie Pilaf (2 servings) (WW 5 pts):

2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp chopped carrot
1/2 tsp canola oil
1/4 c uncooked jasmine rice
1/4 c quinoa, rinsed
1 c chicken broth
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 c chopped fresh broccoli

In small saucepan, saute onion and carrots in oil until tender. Add rice and quinoa; stir to coat. Stir in broth and pepper.

Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, adding the broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.




All the ingredients...






All the ingredients minus the broccoli added...






Broccoli added...






Served with the meatloaf...

No comments:

Post a Comment