Saturday, June 1, 2013

Meat Pies

Growing up, my mom did daycare in the home so she was always cooking for the daycare kids. This is a recipe she used to make a lot because it was an easy way for the daycare kids to eat their veggies without them realizing it and it tasted good. I loved these growing up and if I knew she was making them that day, I always requested she make extra for me or save the leftovers. These can be made with any type of filling you want and they can be frozen. It's kind of a pain to make but the results are worth it. I only made one batch but my mom made another batch a couple days later to use up my leftovers.

Meat Pies:

2 1/4 c bisquick mix or other baking mix
2/3 c milk
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 of a white onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1/2 bag of frozen mixed veggies
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp garlic salt

Bring veggies and enough water to cover in pot and bring to boil. Cook veggies about 4-5 min, until heated through. Drain and place in medium bowl. Heat oil in skillet over med-high. Add ground turkey, onion and taco seasoning and cook until turkey is cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Drain and add to veggie mixture.

Preheat oven to 450. Stir bisquick mix and milk together until a soft dough forms. Place on surface sprinkled with bisquik mix. Knead 10 times.

Roll dough 1/2 in thick. Cut with 2 1/2 cutter (I used the bottom of my immersion blender bowl, as seen in the picture). Place 1-2 tbsp of filling (depending on the size of your circle) on one side of your circle. Fold the other side over and pinch edges to seal. Place finished meat pies on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Once meat pies are ready to be baked, pierce each meat pie a couple times with a fork at the top. Combine butter and salt and brush onto the meat pies. You may also leave them dry or brush with water.

Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!




The filling I used...






Dough rolled out...






Cutting circles...






The amount of filling I used...






The shape of it...






Brushed with garlic butter...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment