Saturday, June 1, 2013

Carmelitas

I had been madly craving something sweet but something that was baked and not cookies. So I started looking on Pinterest for ideas and came across this gem via luluthebaker.blogspot.com The picture looked fantastic and it seemed easy to make. And omg it was amazing! But it was so rich I could only eat a little bit at a time. I actually brought it up to my parent's with me so they could help me eat it before it went bad. It was definitely good but I don't think I'll make it again unless I'm going somewhere I can bring it so others besides me can eat it!

Carmelitas:

32 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 c heavy cream
3/4 c butter, melted
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 c flour
1 c rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low. Stir until completely smooth; set aside. In separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats and baking soda. Pat half of oatmeal mixture into bottom of an 8x8 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 min, until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.

*The bars take a while to cool since there's a lot of caramel in there. The bars taste good warmed up in the microwave.




Mixed together...







Crust before the oven...






Bottom crust from the oven...






Melted caramel on top of the chocolate chips...






Additional crumbs crumbled on top...






Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment