Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chirimoya

So, I love to try new foods, at least once anyways. When I was at the Asian store looking for ingredients for my egg rolls, I came across this fruit at the checkout counter. I asked the salesgirl what it was and she had no idea, so of course I bought it. I didn't think it was quite ripe yet so I let it sit out for a couple of days. I also didn't know how to eat it or what it was supposed to look like on the inside.
While at my parents, I convinced my mom to try it with me. Here's what it looked like on the inside.

After some research online, I finally figured out it was called a Chirimoya. I can't even begin to tell you what it tasted like. It was kind of custardy and soft, with just a hint of a sour/fleshy flavor. I didn't think it was that good. It's also a Spanish fruit, which is a little odd that it was at an Asian market. Here's a good link I found online about it: http://spanishfood.about.com/od/seasonalspanishfoods/a/chirimoyas.htm

My mom is going to try and plant the seeds at her place just to see what happens. I'll keep you updated!



No comments:

Post a Comment