Sunday, November 9, 2014

Elbow Macaroni with Crispy Breadcrumbs & Broccoli

I found this recipe in the Food Network magazine and it stood out because the pasta wasn't in a heavy sauce. This was a really good dish and I'd definitely make this again. The breadcrumb mixture really made the pasta good and added an extra kick with the pepper flakes. I substituted the regular pasta with gluten-free pasta because I've been trying to cut back on my carbs and the gluten-free pasta is a lot healthier. I chose the quinoa pasta and this was my first time making it-I think I overcooked my pasta a tad but all in all it tasted just like regular pasta. I also added 2 more cloves of garlic than what was called for, because everyone knows you can never have too much garlic! I think you could actually use the breadcrumb mixture over any type of pasta-I could definitely play around with this recipe in other ways!

Elbow Macaroni with Crispy Breadcrumbs & Broccoli (4-6 servings) (Food Network):

Salt
6 tbsp EVOO, plus more for drizzling
1/2 c panko
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
3 c elbow macaroni
1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (I used 3 cloves)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 c chicken stock
1 c freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Meanwhile, in large skillet over med, add 2 tbsp oil. Add the breadcrumbs and toast, stirring constantly, until they are crisp and golden, 4-5 minutes, taking care not to let them burn. Scrape into a small bowl and toss with the lemon zest and parsley and then season with salt.

Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to pkg directions until al dente while you make the sauce. Wipe out the skillet used to toast the breadcrumbs and return it to med-high heat. Add the remaining 4 tbsp oil and when oil is hot, add the broccoli and toss to coat. Saute until it turns bright green, 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and pepper flakes. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute, then pour in the stock. Simmer until the broccoli is tender, 5-6 minutes.

When pasta is done, scoop it out of the water with a small strainer and add directly to the sauce, reserving the pasta water. Simmer the pasta with the sauce just to blend the flavors, 1-2 more minutes, then drizzle with a tbsp or so of oil and toss again If sauce seems too dry, add up to 1/2 c pasta water. Off heat, stir in the cheese. Serve in warmed bowls and sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Enjoy!




Breadcrumb mixture...






Pasta stirred into sauce...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment