Monday, August 5, 2013

Yogurt Cake with Tart Cherries

I found this recipe on Pinterest via www.http://cafechocolada.blogspot.com/ My friend has a pretty decent size tart cherry tree in her backyard so we picked them all but couldn't figure out what to do with them. I found this recipe and it looked pretty good. And easy. The only ingredient I was unsure of was the vanilla sugar. I didn't have a vanilla bean but I found something online that said I could make my own vanilla sugar using 1 tsp vanilla extract per 2 cups of regular sugar so I used 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1 c sugar. I let it dry out on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the sugar now that it's made but I'll figure that out later.

The cake was okay..not very sweet tasting though. And the cherries were sour to begin with and they remained sour in the cake. Not sure I like the flavor of the cake. I thought the powdered sugar would help, but it didn't do too much. Pretty sure I won't be making this again. I took a couple pieces home with me and left the rest at my friend's. It might be good with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Yogurt Cake with Tart Cherries:

3 eggs
1 c plain yogurt
3 c flour
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 c oil
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
2 c tart cherries

Grease an 11x3-inch baking dish. Preheat oven to 395. Add baking powder to flour and mix well. Place cherries in their own bowl and add about 2 tbsp flour and shake to coat them.

With a hand mixer, mix eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar. Then add yogurt and oil and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture with baking powder and mix well. Fold in the cherries, being careful not to crush them. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool about 10 minutes and then dust with powdered sugar.




Vanilla Sugar...






Ingredients mixed together...






Ready for the oven...






Powdered sugar on top...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment