Monday, August 12, 2013

Texas Caviar Rice & Beans

This was one of the dishes I made for my weekend with a bunch of girlfriends at the cabin this past weekend. We had planned meals that were easy to eat off of all weekend and this recipe sounded perfect. I had to use 3 serrano chile peppers since Lund's didn't have poblano peppers. It was a little too spicy but all in all it tasted really good. I didn't roast the peppers and it tasted just fine to me. I also have an aversion to pre-cooked rice pouches-I can't stand the taste, so I cooked up some dry basmati rice according to the pkg directions. When I make this again, which I definitely will, I plan to use only one chile pepper and I will make it into a salad. The recipe says to use the leftover dressing as a side but I poured mine over the rice and the rest of the ingredients to add more flavor and it definitely worked.

Texas Caviar Rice & Beans (4-6 servings) (Southern Living):

1 (15.8 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 c finely chopped roasted red bell peppers
1/4 c finely chopped poblano pepper (here I used the 3 serrano chile peppers)
Texas Vinaigrette, divided
2 (8.8 oz) pouches fully cooked basmati rice
1 1/4 c halved grape tomatoes
1 c shredded pepper jack cheese
3/4 c loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
2/3 c thinly sliced celery
1/3 c thinly sliced green onions
Tortilla Chips
Garnishes: Sliced pickled jalapeno peppers

*Texas Vinaigrette (1 cup): Whisk together 1/2 c olive oil; 1/4 c fresh lime juice; 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro; 1 tbsp hot sauce; 1 garlic clove, minced; 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp ground cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Stir together the first 4 ingredients and 1/4 c Texas Vinaigrette in a microwave-safe glass bowl; let stand 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Microwave at high 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring at 30-second intervals.

Heat rice according to pkg directions; fluff with a fork. On a large platter, layer the caviar as follows: celery, rice, tomatoes, bean mixture, cilantro, cheese and pickled jalapeno slices. Drizzle the dressing over the rice and other ingredients on the platter. Serve with tortilla chips.




Bean mixture soaking in marinade...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment