Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Salmon & Lentil Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

I was typing recipes into my computer when I came across this recipe and it stood out for a couple different reasons. I've been trying to find a good lentil salad recipe. I tried a Weight Watchers recipe a couple weeks ago and it was too acidic tasting and not a lot of flavor. I've also been trying to eat more salmon since I know it's pretty healthy. I like most anything with balsamic vinegar so the combo of all of these ingredients stood out. In my recipe, I only used 3 salmon fillets, which was a perfect amount for me. I also only used about a 1 tbsp of chopped mint, instead of the 1/2 cup mint, since I'm not a big fan. And once again, since I've never used scallions, I used 1/2 c green onions. Although I did try to find scallions this time, Whole Foods did not have them for whatever reason. The recipe called for Dijon, which I never have in the house and Google said that any other kind of mustard, with the exception of yellow mustard, would be a good substitute so I used Chipotle mustard and it tasted just fine. And I just realized that this recipe called for green lentils-I used brown since it's what I normally cook. All in all, the salad turned out pretty good and I ate 2 helpings of it. I think I'd definitely try this again.

Salmon & Lentil Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette (6 servings) (Cuisine Mediterranean Menus)

*Vinaigrette
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste

*Salad
1 c green lentils, sorted and rinsed
2 c shredded red cabbage
1 c shredded carrots
1 c thinly sliced scallions
1/2 c chopped fresh mint

*Salmon
1 tbsp Dijon
1 tbsp honey
6 salmon fillets, seasoned with salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil

1/4 c balsamic vinegar
Chopped fresh mint

For vinaigrette, combine 1/4 c vinegar, EVOO, 1 tbsp Dijon, garlic and 1 tbsp honey in a larg bowl; season with salt and pepper. For the salad, cook lentils according to pkg directions; drain. Transfer lentils to bowl with vinaigrette; toss to coat and let cool to room temp. Stir in cabbage, carrots, scallions and 1/2 c mint.

For the salmon, combine 1 tbsp Dijon and 1 tbsp honey; spread onto flesh side of salmon. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet over med; add salmon, skin side down, and cook 2 minutes. Flip salmon, remove skin, and cook 3 minutes on flesh side; flip and cook until med-rare, 1 minute more. Remove salmon to a plate and shred.

Add 1/4 c vinegar to same skillet and reduce until syrupy. Serve the salmon over the salad; drizzle with balsamic reduction and garnish with mint.




Carrots, cabbage & green onions...






Vinaigrette...






Lentils mixed with the cabbage, carrots & green onions...






Salmon with the glaze...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment