Friday, July 19, 2013

Sweet & Sour Pork

I found this recipe in a Weight Watchers Cookbook. I had tried it several years ago and loved it. Unlike most Weight Watchers recipes, this recipe had a lot of flavor. I was telling my mom about the recipe and started craving it so I decided to make it again and once again I loved it. While making it, I discovered I was missing some ingredients, but I just worked around it. I didn't have a bell pepper so I went without. And I've never used scallions before for some reason so I just used green onions instead. It says to marinate the pork while you prepare and cook the veggies but I let mine sit overnight, as I did the first time I made it. I think marinating it overnight lets the marinade sink into the pork and makes the pork more flavorful. I'll definitely keep making this recipe!

Sweet & Sour Pork (4 servings) (Weight Watchers) (4 points)

1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 lb boneless lean pork loin, cubed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-in pieces
3 scallions, sliced
1 c drained, canned unsweetened pineapple chunks (reserve 1 tbsp juice)

In large skillet, heat oil. In gallon-size plastic bag, mix hoisin sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and ginger; add pork. Seal bag, squeezing out the air; turn to coat the pork. Let bagged pork stand while you cook the veggies.

In skillet, stir-fry the bell pepper and scallions until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Transfer the pork to the skillet, reserving the marinade; stir-fry the pork until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Add the marinate, pineapple and pineapple juice; stir-fry until pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Return the veggies to the skillet and heat to serving temperature, about 2 minutes.




Pork marinating...






Pork and green onions...






Pineapples added to the pork...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment