Friday, July 19, 2013

Stuffed Zucchini

When I went to the farmer's market last weekend, I found some large zucchinis. I've been wanting to try some stuffed zucchini but I wanted to make it my own way. I looked on Pinterest to get a general idea of how long to cook it. I found several recipes with all sorts of ingredients in it so I decided to experiment a little bit and it turned out fabulous!!! I will definitely make this again and again and again! Once again, since I was experimenting, I didn't notice measurements so I'll try to guess how much I used. I had planned on making this dish last night so I made up the turkey mixture last night. I ended up staying at a friend's last night so I just reheated the turkey mixture with the zucchini pulp tonight. On a side note, expect some more zucchini recipes-I have 3 more zucchini to use!

Stuffed Zucchini: 2 servings

1 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp butter
1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp veggie oil
1-2 tbsp taco seasoning
1-2 tbsp pepper
2-3 tbsp cumin
2-3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1-2 tbsp paprika
1-2 tbsp dried basil
1-2 tbsp dried parsley
1-2 tbsp dried oregano
1 heaping tbsp bottled minced garlic
1 heaping tbsp bottled minced ginger
2-3 tbsp soy sauce
2 c shredded cheese, your choice of blend

Scoop out the pulp of the zucchini with a spoon, dice the pulp and set aside. Sprinkle the zucchini halves with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Preheat oven to 350 and spread foil on a 9x13-in glass baking dish; place the zucchini in the prepared dish.

Melt the butter in a skillet and add the pulp; stir and cook for about 2-4 minutes, until heated through. In another skillet, add the veggie oil and heat to med-high. Add the ground turkey and onion. Add all the seasonings, ginger and garlic. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink; drain. Return the meat mixture to the skillet, add the zucchini pulp and soy sauce; stir to blend.

Spoon the meat mixture into the zucchini boats-don't press down, let the meat mixture sit naturally. Sprinkle the boats with cheese. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the zucchini is tender. Slice each zucchini in half and serve.




Hollowed out zucchini...






Zucchini boats sprinkled with olive oil and paprika...






Zucchini pulp...






Zucchini heating in butter...






Filling heating up...






Filling in the zucchini...






Fresh from the oven...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment