Friday, March 1, 2013

Slow-Cooked Jambalaya

No idea where or when I bought this book but I decided at the beginning of the week that I needed to use my slow cooker more often so I started looking at my cookbooks. I found this one to have tons of good looking recipes so I decided to start making my grocery list.




Book of recipes...






I found three recipes to make in this week/next week and I have several more book marked to make soon. This is the first recipe I made out of it and it turned out really good. I also have a fish recipe and a chicken soup recipe that I will be posting soon. For some reason, I have been craving good jambalaya lately. I blame girls' night out when I had a really good jambalaya at the Cheesecake Factory. It didn't taste as good as Cheesecake's but it was pretty good. I have lots of leftovers, so I can freeze it.

I didn't use all of the chicken it asked for, since I feel that any jambalaya has way too much chicken. I couldn't find the pkg of prechopped veggies, so I used 1 white onion, chopped; 2 med ribs of celery, chopped; and 1 yellow pepper, chopped. I think when I make this next, I won't add the cooked rice for the last 30 min-i think my rice is too mushy so I may just cook it and serve it with the jambalaya separately. And the next time I make it, I will add some red pepper flakes in the beginning. I've been using the red pepper flakes for my individual servings just to add some heat. Other than that, the dish turned out pretty good!


Jambalaya (8 servings):

2 lb skinned and boned chicken thighs (I used two chicken breasts, cut up)
1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 2-in slices
1 (8 oz) container refrigerated prechopped celery, onion and bell pepper mix
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 c chicken broth
1 tbsp Cajun spice mix
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
3/4 lb extra-large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 3/4 c converted rice
Garnish: Chopped parsley

Combine chicken, sausage, celery mix, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a 5-qt slow cooker. Cook on low 5 hours.

Add shrimp and rice; increase heat to high and cook for 30 min. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.




All the ingredients added...






Rice & shrimp added...






Enjoy...

+

No comments:

Post a Comment