Monday, January 19, 2015

Salted Caramel Bark

I had family in town for Thanksgiving and I wanted to make a dessert that could be eaten throughout the weekend. I love making desserts but I only like making them if I can share them because otherwise the majority of it would go to waste. This made way too much as it is but it was really really good. The recipe calls for a bag of dark chocolate chips and a bag of milk chocolate chips. I'm not a fan of dark chocolate so I used a bag of semisweet chocolate chips. Everyone seemed to like it but the only thing I wished I had was more of a coarser salt. All my aunt had was the fine sea salt, which worked, but I had to use a lot of it and it still wasn't enough. I also think I should have melted the caramel without the water because when I went to break up the bark, the caramel was still really soft. I found this recipe on Pinterest.

Salted Caramel Bark (20-30 pieces):

11.5 oz pkg of Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips (or semisweet chocolate chips)
11.5 oz pkg of Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips
11 oz pkg Kraft Caramel bits + 2 tbsp water
Coarse ground sea salt

Rip off a piece of wax or parchment paper and cover a cookie sheet. In microwave-safe bowl, microwave caramel bits with 2 tbsp water for 2 minutes. Then stir and microwave for additional 30 second intervals until fully melted.

Place both pkg of chocolate chips in a separate bowl and melt in the microwave or place on the stove with a double broiler and stir until melted and glossy. Spread the melted chocolate with a spatula on the wax paper, making sure the chocolate goes all the way to the edges.

With a spoon, drop dollops of the caramel. Take a spatula and swirl it into the chocolate in an up and down motion across the pan creating swirled ribbons. Sprinkle the salt across the top. Don't be stingy with the salt.

Place your cookie sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Take it out of the freezer and break the bark into pieces. Pull off the waxed paper and layer in a container with parchment paper and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!




Chocolates melted and spread into pan...






Caramel and chocolates swirled together...






Liberally sprinkled with salt...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment