Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fiesta Smothered Chicken




I found this recipe among my other typed out recipes, so I'm not sure where it came from. I usually use chicken breasts that I get from Schwans. My mom orders it for me and then when she's in town, delivers it. I'm out of chicken so I picked up some from Target to hold me over until next weekend. I think I've gotten spoiled because the stuff from Target isn't half as good. For one thing, I bought a 4 oz pkg and instead of a chicken breast or 2 of them, it came in different sized strips. And there was a lot of fat that I had to trim off. Oh well, it worked and I get my Scwans order next weekend. I didn't have any jalapenos so I used an Asian red chile pepper. And I had some zucchini on hand so I added that to the onion mixture. I think I used more onion but I love onion, so it worked. I didn't chop it, I left it in slices. I also doubled the marinade for the chicken to make sure the chicken had a lot of flavor. I also didn't have any pepper jack cheese on hand so I used the shredded cheddar-jack cheese. This dish serves 2.

Fiesta Smothered Chicken;

3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 c chopped onion
4 tsp chopped seeded jalapeno pepper (I used a small red chile pepper)
1/2 zucchini, sliced
6 tbsp butter, divided
1/4 c shredded pepper jack cheese
1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese

In large resealable plastic bag, combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; set aside.

In large skillet, saute onion, chile pepper and zucchini in 2 tbsp butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.

Drain and discard marinade. In same skillet, cook chicken in remaining butter (I only used 3 tbsp of the remaining butter) over med heat for 4-5 min on each side or until cooked through. Spoon veggies over chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 1-2 min or until cheese is melted.




Veggies cooking...






Chicken cooking in butter...







Veggies added to the cooked chicken....







Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment