Sunday, September 19, 2010

Spicy Hot Pot with Noodles

I found this recipe in the Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine. I've been meaning to make it and when I knew my mom was going to be in town this weekend, I decided to make it with her. It turned out fantastic and she ended up taking some home with her. It makes 4-6 servings.

Here are the ingredients:

2 tbsp Asian chili paste or chili-garlic paste. I used this:
3 tbsp veggie oil
One 2-in piece ginger, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
4 oz. bean sprouts (the recipe originally called for mushrooms but I do not like them so I substituted bean sprouts)
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
One 32-oz. container (4 cups) chicken or beef broth
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 small head napa cabbage, cut into 2-in pieces
8 oz. fresh egg fettuccine or linguine pasta
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
3/4 lb boneless beef rib eye, thinly sliced against the grain
3/4 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/8 cup chopped cilantro

In heavy, medium saucepan, heat veggie oil over medium-high heat. Add ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. (If you are using mushrooms, you would add them at this point and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2-3 min.) Add the chili paste and brown sugar and cook, stirring often, for 30 seconds.
Add 1 cup water, the chicken broth and soy sauce. Stir in the cabbage and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to pkg directions. Drain and rinse under cold water, then toss with 1 tbsp sesame oil.

Stir in beef and shrimp into the soup and bring to a boil until the shrimp is cooked through.
Add the cilantro and remaining 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil. I also added the bean sprouts at this time.
Divide the noodles among 4-6 bowls and add the hot broth with the veggies, meat and shrimp.
Enjoy!

Side note: When I make this dish again, I'm only going to add 1 tbsp of the chili-paste. You can add more or less according to your taste. And I'm going to use a rice noodle instead of the linguine...the linguine seemed too heavy of a noodle for this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment