Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pho


I received this yummy recipe from my best friend Mandi. First she took me out to eat some pho (for those who aren't in the know...Pho is Vietnamese soup) and once I fell in love with it, she gave me her recipe. You can use any kind of broth base or add any kind of meat/seafood or add any type of veggie. Here's what I use in my pho-I made my pho for 1 serving. I call the sauces in the above picture the 3 amigos. :)

Here's the ingredients:

These are the types of noodles I use with my pho...I found them at the local Asian store I frequent.
I use these beef balls, also found at the same local Asian store I frequent.

Rest of ingredients:

Sriracha sauce
Fish sauce
Hoisin or Oyster sauce
Bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
Handful of bean sprouts
Slices of lime or lime juice


I use beef broth so I boiled 3 cups of water with 3 tbsp beef bouillon. (In the past, I've also boiled 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts in water until no longer pink in the middle, reserving the water to use as the broth. I then shredded the chicken.) When the water started to boil, add beef balls and cook 5 minutes or until cooked through. In another pan, cook pasta in boiling water about 5 minutes or until soft. Drain pasta. Add pasta to the bottom of your bowl and top with chopped cilantro, chopped green onions and bean sprouts.

Top noodles and veggies with enough broth to cover noodles. Add beef balls.
Once broth is added, add how ever much sauce to the bowl. Sriracha sauce makes the soup spicy, fish sauce makes it salty, Hoisin or Oyster sauce makes it sweet. Add to taste. Finally, add the limes or a squeeze or two of lime juice.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment