Monday, December 1, 2014

4-Berry Pie with Lattice Topped Pie Crust

I can't remember where I found this recipe but I made it several years ago for Christmas at my aunt's house when she lived in Arizona. I had never made a pie before then and I love berries so I came up with this recipe from somewhere and it was really good!

My family came down for Thanksgiving this year and I decided to make this again, hoping it was as good as I remembered it and it definitely was! Lots of flavor from the berries and the cinnamon on the pie crust set it off. I think I added too many berries because the filling over-filled a little bit onto the oven floor-oops! I made it the day before to let the flavors really meld-yum! Originally this pie was only a 3-berry pie calling for blackberries but I'm not a huge fan of blackberries. I did add a small container of blackberries but then I also added a container of strawberries, which is probably why it over-filled but it worked out.

4-Berry Pie with Lattice Topped Pie Crust (6-8 servings):

1/2 c fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 c fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 c fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 c fresh or frozen sliced strawberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 c sugar
4 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)
Cinnamon, for sprinkling

In large bowl, sprinkle berries with lemon juice. Combine sugar and tapioca. Add to berries; toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon into pastry shell.

For topping, cut strips into pastry shell. Inter-weave onto top of berries to create a lattice-look. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!




Berries macerating...






Berries poured into pie bottom...






Sprinkled with cinnamon...






Fresh from the oven...






Enjoy!...

No comments:

Post a Comment