Sunday, November 28, 2010

Paula Deen's Green Bean Casserole

My cousin had Thanksgiving at her house this year and she put me in charge of making green bean casserole. I've never made the dish mainly because I don't like it (gasp I know!). Most green bean casseroles come out with the green beans soggy and I hate soggy veggies. So I thought I'd look online for a recipe I would actually eat and I came across Paula Deen's recipe (found on www.foodnetwork.com). It originally called for fresh mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup. I don't eat mushrooms, so I just omitted the fresh mushrooms and used cream of celery soup instead. And you know, I actually liked it! As did everyone else, including my dad, who like me, doesn't normally like green bean casserole! The ingredients are as follows:

1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onions
2 cups sliced green beans (I used frozen-much better than canned as they can be soggy)
3 cups chicken broth
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of celery soup
1 (2.8 oz.) can French-Fried onion rings
Dash each of pepper, salt and garlic powder
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in large skillet. Saute the onions in the butter. Boil the green beans in the chicken broth for 10 minutes. Drain and add to the onion/butter mixture.

Green beans mixed into the onion/butter mixture...




Add the cream of celery soup, French-Fried onions and spices to the pan.

Cream of celery soup was added to the green beans...




The green beans with the french-fried onion rings mixed in...



Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2 qt baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the dish with the cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted.

I don't have a finished picture with the green beans in their glass dish and the cheese melted over since I finished that step at my cousin's house and I forgot my camera.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment