Friday, December 14, 2012

Thai Turkey with Basil




I found this in a recipe book that had Chinese, Japanese and Thai recipes in it. I forgot I even had the book so I marked what I wanted to try and I'll add it to my recipe collection on my computer. This recipe stuck out and I knew I would try it soon. I made it this morning and yes I know it was only 10am but I didn't care. It was sooooo good! I've never fried basil before so that was new to me. You are supposed to serve it on a piece of lettuce, which I did but I also put some additional lettuce leaves on the side to wrap it up in. I also drizzled some hoisin sauce over the top. The recipe calls for Boston or Bibb lettuce but I couldn't find any at two grocery stores so I just used iceberg lettuce, which worked fine.



Thai Turkey with Basil (4 servings)

1 small bunch fresh basil, divided
2 c veggie oil
6 large shallots, coarsely chopped (I used the other half of a white onion, diced)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 piece fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
1 lg ground turkey
2 fresh Thai chili peppers, cut into thin slices
2 tsp packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Lettuce leaves

Set aside 8 small basil sprigs. Slice remaining basil into strips; set aside.

Heat oil in wok over med-high until oil registers 375. Add 1 or 2 basil sprigs at a time and deep-fry about 15 seconds or until basil is glossy and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain. Repeat with remaining sprigs, reheating oil between batches. Reserved fried basil.

Let oil cool slightly. Pour off most of oil, leaving 1/4 c in skillet or wok. Heat over med-high 30 seconds. Add shallots, garlic and ginger; cook and stir 1 min. Add turkey and stir-fry about 4 min or until lightly browned. Push turkey up side of work or skillet, letting juices remain in bottom.

Continue to cook 5-7 min or until all liquid evaporates. Stir in chili slices, brown sugar and salt; cook 1 min. Stir in reserved basil strips. Remove from heat.

Line serving plate with lettuce. Spoon turkey mixture on top. Top with reserved fried basil.



The ingredients...




Fried basil...




Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment